By Sandra Chukwunyere
The 100% Compliance Team of the National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF) has suspended its planned industrial action against APM Terminals (APMT) following the intervention of the Federal Government and security agencies.
The association disclosed this in a statement issued on May 17 and signed by its National Coordinator, Hon. Ibrahim Tanko.
According to the group, the decision to suspend the planned withdrawal of services, initially scheduled to commence on Monday, May 18, 2026, followed engagements involving the Honourable Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, the Department of State Services (DSS), and the Commissioner of Police, Western Ports Command.
Tanko explained that the suspension was made in recognition of the Minister’s intervention and assurances that steps would be taken to ensure APMT aligns its operations with acceptable industry standards and improve service delivery at the terminal.
The Compliance Team had earlier threatened industrial action over what it described as arbitrary charges and persistent operational deficiencies at the terminal, which it said were negatively impacting freight forwarders, cargo clearance processes, and overall port efficiency.
According to the association, members have continued to experience prolonged cargo delays, terminal congestion, equipment failures, and poor operational performance, leading to increased demurrage costs, excessive storage charges, missed delivery timelines, and other financial losses.
NAGAFF stated that several previous complaints and stakeholder engagements with the terminal management failed to produce meaningful improvements, prompting the association to issue a formal notice of withdrawal of services.
In a protest letter dated May 12, 2026, and addressed to the Managing Director of APMT, the association demanded the immediate provision of adequate operational infrastructure, improved cargo handling efficiency, and sustainable measures to prevent recurring disruptions at the terminal.
Copies of the notice were sent to the Customs Area Controllers of Apapa, TCIP, KLT, and PTML commands.
The association said the suspension of the planned action is intended to give the terminal operator an opportunity to address the concerns raised by stakeholders and improve operational standards.
NAGAFF further assured members and industry stakeholders that it would continue to monitor developments closely to ensure that the interests of freight forwarders and the wider maritime sector are protected.

The development is expected to ease tensions within the port industry and prevent disruptions to cargo clearance and logistics activities across the Lagos port corridor.

